Saturday, January 24, 2009

127 days...

Yesterday was a good day and a bad day all rolled up into 1. It started off great; DP and I made breakfast together and sat down and enjoyed it together. I finally received the Internet goodies that I ordered, so we took a break and played with the speculum (sorry for TMI). We went outside and washed DP's car together. Most of the day was splendid.

Then the evening came...DP and I got in an argument over stupid shit. I mean, the actual topic of the argument is trivial, but the issues surrounding the real reasons why we argued were of importance. Basically, as mentioned before, DP is down because of the job situation. And when she gets down, or when she doesn't fully understand something, or when she is nervous she tends to shut down. Subsequently, her shutting down usually results in me losing my temper. Which, of course, isn't going to help solve the problem of DP being down/nervous/etc. I told her last night that she turns speed bumps into brick walls! Little things that she should be able to (and will have to be able to) do get her all worked up, and then she gives up. Usually, after much confidence boosting, some arm twisting, and a lot of explanation she'll give in to whatever, and all of the sudden realize that it wasn't so bad/hard and she just needed that extra little push to realize it. However, after years of this, I have let it get to me. So now when she shuts down/gives up, I get so pissed off and disappointed I let it get the best of me. So...needless to say there were a few hours during the evening that were pretty bad. Then finally when we regained the communication skills of a kindergartner, we talked and we both calmed down.

The rest of the evening went really well. We made up, and that was good. Then we watched a movie. That was good too.

Now, if only we could skip to the communication part and avoid shutting down and/or losing tempers (respectively). All in all, we still love each other even if we suck sometimes. LOL.

1 comment:

2momswithaplan said...

Communication was never our strong suit either. But after 6 years of being together, we've learned to walk away until we are calm and then talk about it. It helps when your defenses are down and you are thinking clearly. I'm happy you two were able to work it out. Making up after a fight is always the best part! ;)