Monday, March 15, 2010

When Peanut Comes...

Yes, I know it may be a little early to talk about what i wanna do concerning child care and returning to work after childbirth, but I can't help but dream, eh? Here's what I was thinking.

As a nurse, I'm offered a lot of flexibility about shifts/schedules. I also love working with kids. I think the only reason I wouldn't make a good pedi nurse is because I would be so distraught over the poor kids, that I wouldn't last long there. However, since forever, I've always worked with kids. I babysat through high school, my first "real" job was as a lifeguard (where I loved teaching the lil ones how to swim and watching/participating in water babies), I was a kid's N action instructor (akin to gyboree and little gym), I substitute taught in an elementary, and then right before nursing school I was a full time tutor at an elementary. I "click" with kids...especially those under the age of 10. My favorite years: birth-4 years. So...I was thinking...how can I be a nurse and make decent money while also working with kids out side of the health care environment?

I would like to have a small in-home daycare/nannying gig for one or two other babies (allowing me to also stay at home with my child) where I focus on all the things that I would hope a daycare/nanny would do for my kid. I would support cloth diapering, incorporate baby signing, stimulate motor/sensory functions, take them to the "tot spot" at the children's museum, take them to the zoo, my baby can read, organic/homemade baby foods, encourage breast feeding/feeding of breast milk, keep stringent "mommy logs" detailing daily activities, and just shower babies with love and warmth all day (or at least until 6 PM). I'd do this M-F from 4 am (i'm up early anyway) - 6 pm, and then spend the evenings with my little family. On weekends, I'd find a part time thing @ an area hospital and work 16-24 hours on the weekend as a nurse. If i did this it would minimize the financial strain on my family, solve my daycare needs, and ensure that my baby was taken care of by one of it's mother's at all times.

If it works out the way I'm thinking, I'll be a SAHM 5 days a week and a nurse 2 days a week. I'll see my wifey every weeknight, and still be able to pull in a decent salary. I'd like to continue this for AT LEAST the baby's first year, but if I like it, I wouldn't mind making this a more permanent thing. I can ALWAYS go back to nursing full time. I can't get baby's first years back once they're gone.

So...what do y'all think?

No comments: