Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hind Sight...

The sight of our poor boy's hind side is definitely one for sore eyes. We've been battling thus diaper rash for nearly 3 weeks, and need I remind you, C is only 4 weeks old! His butt is red like someone painted a target sign right on it. It has been chapped, peeling, and at times has even bled. We had it clearing up with original A&D ointment, but after we changed his formula (because of his milk protein allergy) it came back with a vengeance. He's used A&D zinc, aquaphor, Vaseline, questronon (script), and nystatan (script). We have been giving him oatmeal baths nightly, spraying off his bum with water during diaper changes, stop using diaper wipes, blow drying his nether regions after diaper changes (on mildest setting of course, also...our little perv enjoys the blow dryer immensely), and he's getting 30 min to an hour diaperless a day. I just made my umpteenth call to the pedi. I have a feeling it will turn into our 5th visit either today or tomorrow. I'm afraid our pedi is going to think we are psycho Munchhausen moms because of how often we seek her professional opinion within such a short time span! I just want him to feel better. He's so gassy, colicky, and fussy some times. It sounds like we are murdering him when we change his diaper. His stools have improved in consistency since changing formula, but his bum has taken a beating. On top of all that, my milk supply continues to dwindle. I have a hospital grade pump and a script for reglan, but I haven't seen much improvement...if any. Woes me. I just want wee man to feel better and I just want to be able to feed him. Btw, for the last 2.5 weeks I have had absolutely NO dairy. I am going to give that boy every oz, or half oz, I make. Until I dry up. If it means eating like a kosher vegan (minus the no meat thing) for the next forever, then so be it. I'm off to see if little man will hold still for some pics. Wish you all well!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, poor baby! I'm so sorry you're all going through this!! Have you thought of trying cloth diapers? I don't have any experience myself but we are planning on using them for the next baby. I've heard Moms swear by them and say they are the only thing that stopped the rashes. Or maybe switching to another disposable brand? I've heard of some babies being allergic to certain diapers. The most recent being the Pampers Dry Max diapers. If you google it you will see lots of Moms having issues with them and even pushing for a recall. Those are the only suggestions I have, sounds like you are doing everything possible and more. Hopefully his Ped can figure out a cream or something and get him some relief, and soon!

Anonymous said...

ugh! poor C and poor mommies! My niece had a nasty case of diarrhea that would not relent, even after the prescription bum cream. They finally put her on soy formula and she has been good. I now you mentioned the milk protein allergy but not sure if you were supplementing with formula. I hate that you are going through so much with him being so young, I hope it gets better soon. hugs

H2 said...

Have you tried Boudreaux's Butt-Paste? It is way better than A&D BY FAR!!!

txmoms2b said...

I have used the butt pastes, along with desitin, every kind of A&D, and now scripts. The A&D worked the best as far as the OTC creams were concerned, but now nothing is working. Doc wants to give the nystatan a full week. She also suggested changing diapers...again. He has been on buggies pure and natural, pampers swaddlers, and pampers swaddlers sensitive. At the moment he is in luvs. My baby boy is so high maintenance!