Thursday, January 20, 2011

2 weeks...

2 weeks; the time has just flown by. Right now the babe is napping while I tote the baby monitor with me like it is my lifeline! I don't like leaving him unsupervised, even while napping. These 2 weeks have been a far cry from easy. He's been to the pedi twice already, with another call this week to talk about poop. The boy was on a starvation diet the first 4 days of life, contributing to his jaundice (which has since cleared up). We now "supplement" with formula, although the formula to breastmilk ratio is probably 2:1. I've been desperately trying to increase my milk supply. I'm taking fenugreek and marshmallow root. I pump as often as I can, which is usually every 2-3 hours. The bub has kind of taken a shine to the bottle, leaving my boobs feeling a bit shunned. I've cried many a time over this. In the last couple of days, he'll accept the breast in between feedings (and even then, he'll only latch on the right) but I fear this breast time is more like a pacifier than a meal...at least it is nutritive sucking. I haven't started with the cloth diapering; we're waiting until his belly button stump falls off. I keep thinking it will, and it keeps hanging on! Even still, with as much as this boy poos (and until we find out if he indeed does have a milk protien allergy/reflux) I'm thinking it may be prudent to combination diaper with cloth and disposable. Best laid plans, huh? Overall he is a joy. And cute enough to eat. We already can't imagine our lives before him. The stress and sleeplessness are definitely worth every gas bubble induced smile from those pouty lips and all the other amazing/amusing things a babe can bring to your life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Experienced pretty much the scenario as far as feeding. It's heartbreaking but we have to feed these poor kids, don't we? I just try to remind myself that she got the good stuff in the beginning.
Be prepared for a growth spurt (aka cluster feeding and fussiness) around week 3. :)